Commercial mayonnaise, apart from being expensive, can contain additives and sometimes high FODMAP ingredients. This homemade version is very easy and cheap
Makes ~1 cup or 14, 1 tbsp servings)
- 1 large egg yolks (23g) (as fresh as possible)
- 1 tbsp (20g) lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 1 cup (220g) neutral flavoured oil (e.g. grapeseed, rice bran, sunflower, canola or light olive oil)
- 1/4 tsp (1g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- Black pepper (1/4 tsp or to taste)
- 1 tbsp (20g) water, as required
- Place egg yolks, sugar, salt and lemon juice in a food processor bowl.
- In a food processor, blitz while slowly pouring in oil. Importantly, add a little water as required when the mayonnaise gets too thick (it is easy to add most of the water after half the oil has been added). Continue to process until all the oil is incorporated. Season with pepper and extra salt if desired.
- The mayo can also be made by hand in a large bowl using a whisk
- This mayonnaise keeps well in an airtight container in the fridge for at least 2 weeks. Make sure you use clean utensils when removing the required amount from the container.
- To make a low FODMAP aioli, use ¼ cup garlic infused oil and ¾ cup neutral flavoured oil.
- Add ½ a tablespoon of either smooth or grainy good quality, French Dijon mustard at the initial step to make a classic French mayonnaise.