Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
- 500g dried black turtle beans
- 3L water, divided
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 green chillies, seeded and minced
- 50g dried lentils
- 2 (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 dessertspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 75g white rice
- In a large pot over medium high heat, place the beans in 1.5L water. Bring to the boil, and let boil 10 minutes. Cover, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour. Drain, and rinse.
- In a slow cooker, combine soaked beans and 1.5L fresh water. Cover, and cook for 3 hours on High.
- Stir in all of the remaining ingredients except for the rice. Cook on Low for 2 to 3 hours. Stir the rice into the slow cooker in the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- Purée about half of the soup in a blender or food processor, then pour back into the pot before serving.