“Spaghetti” and Meatballs
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 - 5
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil, parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Combine ground beef, salt and oregano and mix to thoroughly combine (I find this easiest to do with my hands). Form meatballs (I made mine about 1 1/2″ in diameter, which gave me 24 meatballs).
- Bake meatballs for 12-15 minutes, depending on size.
- 1.2 kg courgette
- 1 tbsp salt (to salt the squash)
- 12-16 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 250g sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups whole black olives (or about 1 cup sliced)
- 5-6 slices thick cut bacon
- 3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Use a vegetable spiralizer to cut your courgette into long noodles (I used the thicker blade settings on my vegetable spiralizer). Place in a colander or strainer and sprinkle liberally with salt. Place in a sink or in a larger bowl so that it doesn’t make a mess as the courgette emits water. Let the courgette salt for about 1 hour. Rinse thoroughly (you might want to taste it to make sure you got the salt off). Let the noodles drain then place onto some paper towel or kitchen towels to absorb the water (you can place another towel over top and gently press down to squeeze out the excess water).
- Cut bacon into small pieces. Add to a large frying pan or stock pot and turn on the heat to medium high. Cook the bacon, stirring occasionally until browned, about 7-8 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms. Continue cooking for 6-8 minutes, until mushrooms are sauteed and starting to brown (if the mushrooms release a lot of water into your pan, turn up the heat slightly to simmer it off).
- Add the olives and the squash noodles. Toss together and cook, stirring frequently, 4-5 minutes until squash is cooked al dente. Add the basil and cook 1 more minutes. Toss with meatballs (or just place the meatballs on top of each plate) and enjoy.