Turkish Split Pea Stew
Total time: 25 mins
- 1½ tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced into small cubes
- 1 celery stick, diced into cubes
- 4-5 cloves garlic, diced finely
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1½ teaspoons cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 2 cups split yellow peas (rinsed well)
- ½ cup chopped tinned tomatoes
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1.75 L vegetable stock ( I used 7 x 250 ml cups + 3 vegetable stock cubes)
- To serve: chopped chives or green onions or extra lemon
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot (it should say Normal, 30 mins). Add the coconut oil, onion, carrot and celery and cook for 4 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Cancel the Sauté function by pressing Keep Warm/Cancel button.
- Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual (High Pressure) and adjust to 10 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release for 4-5 minutes and then use the quick release method before opening the lid.
- Serve with chopped chives or scallions and extra lemon on the side