Herbed Beef Stew with Carrots and Celeriac
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 50 mins
Total: 1 hour 5 mins
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup bone broth
- 1 cup red cooking wine
- 1kg pounds beef stew meat
- 4 carrots, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 ribs celery, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium celeriac, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup button mushrooms, halved
- 3 tbsps cassave flour
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsps fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- Spring onions, for garnish
- Add the coconut oil to the Instant Pot and press the "saute" function (if you are using a regular pressure cooker, use medium heat on the stovetop). When the fat has melted and the pan is hot, add the onions, and cook, stirring, for 7 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Add the broth and wine to deglaze the pot. Add the meat, vegetables, and all other ingredients (except the spring onions) to the pot and mix with a wooden spoon to incorporate. Close and lock the lid, and select the "manual" setting to cook at high pressure for 35 minutes (or simply press the "meat and stew" button). If you have a regular pressure cooker, cook at high pressure for 40 minutes.
- When the time is up, place a damp towel on the pressure release valve and carefully use a wooden spoon to open the valve and quick release the pressure.
- Let cool enough to handle and serve.